The Project

Project site satellite views

Click on a thumbnail to view a specific satellite photo. You may use the horizontal scrollbar to browse through more photos.

Project site: Kontea, Cyprus.

VillageAll SitesHeritage ComplexCarob Park

Project site buildings photos

Click on a thumbnail to view a specific building photo. You may use the horizontal scrollbar to browse through more photos.

Charalambos Pericleous at the Catholic Chapel, Kontea (1971)Catholic Cemetery (1962)Catholic ChapelAgios Charalambos Fair (1962)The Mansion (1926)The Mansion (1904)Panayir (1968)Church (1962)All sitesChurchChurchChurchCloistersChapelChurchSchoolMansionMansionAqueductAqueductAqueductAqueductCemeteryCarob Tree ParkCarob Tree ParkChapel ruins

Project organizational chart

Click on the thumbnail to view the organizational chart.

Organizational chart

Project steering committees

GC Steering committee members / Foundation Council

Mr. Charalambos PericleousAdministrator - Mechanical Engineer
Mr. Nikos LarkosFormer Community Council President - Cooperative Bank Manager
Mr. George GenagritisKontea Cooperative Bank Council President - Civil Engineer
Mr. Antonis KarpasitisInsurance Director
Mr. David HandsEditor/Cameraman, CrewHouse Television partner
Mr. Charalambos KrashiaKontea Community Council President - Quantity Surveyor
Mr. George SorokkosFormer Kontea Refugee Association President
Ms. Kyriaki Santama-KakoutsiHead of Records/Accounting, Land&Surveys Department
Mr. Andreas PatsiasKontea Refugee Association President - Forester, Department of Forestry
Mr. Michalis KonteatisKontea Community Council Member - Civil Engineer
Mr. Petros AnastasiouBuilding contractor
Mr. Pieris EllinasFarmer

TC Steering committee members

Mr. Ismet Akim
Mr. Ilker Edip
Mr.Nezif Özdenak
Mr. Özkan Namikkemaloglu
Mr. Ertan Namikkemaloglu
Mrs. Ismet Murat
Mr. Ali T. Kizilsahin
Mr. Mehmet VahipArchitect
Dr. Fevzi ÖzersayArchitect

Kontea name and history

Historically the village of Kontea is related to the mansion which existed there from the time of the Franks. During the French occupation the mansion was the residence of a high-ranking officer called Viscount. The name Kontea is therefore foreign and it originates from that time; it actually comes from the word ‘Konte’ or County, that is, one’s territory. The village was first called ‘Vicomte’ (i.e. Count’s Mansion).

Kontea as a village came into existence during the Ottoman occupation. According to village legends, the mansion passed into the hands of the Kykkos monastery during the Ottoman occupation, and then to the Archbishopric of Cyprus. In 1797 a nephew of the Archbishop, Chrysanthos, was District Bishop of Tamassos. The Archbishop was a very old man, and the District Bishop took charge of the Archbishopic affairs. It was then that many renovations and repairs took place. This is indicated by an inscription on a marble plaque dated 1797.

In 1823 Archbishop Joachim sold the property to Mme Louise Lapierre for 15,000 piastres. In the documents of that time the mansion was known by the name Konteya. Apart from the underground water channels, it consisted of 696 acres of land, 77 olive trees, fig trees, mulberry trees, 285 animals, 29 stables and barns. The remarkable fertility of the soil attracted the new owners. The result was that a village was formed for the workers of the farm, and it was named Kontea. Gradually most of the land passed to the hands of the villagers, and the family of the Lapierres remained in the villa buildings, and with a small holding in and around.